Thursday, November 10, 2016

EASY FISH TACOS WITH CHIPOTLE AÏOLI

My husband loves to fish. Its a hobby he picked up two years ago. He really enjoys it, plus our freezer is always stocked with fish. At least once a month, we'll eat fish and my favorite way to eat it is to make fish tacos. Now, I tried different recipes and ways to do it. I deep fried the fish, I blackened it, grilled it, you name it.  I think beer batter fried cod is the best type of fish for the tacos, but the salmon he catches...I season it well and blacken it on little bit of olive oil and its to die for. What you layer it with is totally up to you. Personally, its not a fish taco unless it has some kind of cream base, shredded lettuce, red onion, lime, cilantro. Everything else is negotiable.Also, corn tortilla matters. White flour is just so filling and it drowns the other ingredients, I'm just not a fan. If you toss the corn tortilla in a pan, you'll give your fish taco nice crunch and heat.

With all that said, here is an incredibly easy fish taco recipe. Again, I cook for two, so double or triple up the amount of your ingredients if you have larger family.


In a bowl, I combined little over a cup of shredded white cabbage with 1 small red onion, 2 spoons of sour cream and half lime juice. If you are fasting for Holidays, replace sour cream and mayo with Vegenaise. That stuff is incredible and completely VEGAN. Add little salt, pepper, mix well and set aside in the fridge to chill it.

To season the fish:
  • 1/4 teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
  • 1/2 tspn of garlic powder,
  • 1/2 tspn of salt
  • 1/2 tspn of black pepper
  • 1/2 tspn of ground cumin
Season the fish. Dump it on hot olive oil. 5-7 minutes per side. The pieces I had were very thick.

Separate the fish in chunks so you can load up your taco.

Now this is optional, the aioli topping. I personally LOVE it and its so simple to make.
1/4 cup of mayo
salt and pepper
chipotle hot sauce
couple of cloves of garlic (I always add extra)
lime juice
chopped chives (optional)


Combine until its saucy and spicy.


I threw my white corn tortillas over few drops of olive oil, to give them a nice little char and heat.
To assemble: take the cabbage/onion/sour cream mixture from the fridge, place it on bottom of tortilla, top it with fish, little bit of aioli and of course....TON OF CILANTRO. Do not bother with Mexican food if you do not eat or like cilantro. Its a food group in my house.

You can top it with pretty much anything. Usually, I'd have some fresh avocados but I was out at this moment. You can add fresh onion, tomatoes, anything your heart desires.

And there you have it: easy fish tacos. This entire meal took me less than 15 minutes. Bon apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment